I decided to try something new. Today I bought groceries for a month

 The Question:

I’ve never done that. It’s just me but I spent $120. I wrote down about 15 meals and I’ll get at least 2 meals out of each one. Some 3-4. I’m not realky a vegetarian but did mostly vegetarian meals. Lots of beans. I can some veggies so I got dried beans and I’ll can them tomorrow.

What did people say?

⇒ Brooklyn: I like the idea of monthly shopping, but we need fruits and veggies in our diets and a lot of them just don’t last a month. Would you make a few extra trips to the produce section?

⇒ Elke: Great idea= I typically buy month supply ,except produce I have to buy weekly. I cook for 6= I make my biggest meal at noon and most of the time with leftovers for dinner. Or maybe just an add on- like a salad . Don't do a lot of sandwiches at all= too costly. Maybe once a week as a treat. But mainly cause we eat lots of veggies. These times are looking like the ones I grew up in = Post War Germany= I remember my parents drove 1 hr to go to a Supermarket = Aldi= back then. They would buy groceries for the whole month, only fresh stuff weekly. Meat was a small bit on the side. Lucky if we got some Sundays. Taste buds adjust.

⇒ Yilina: Can you share your bean recipes? Especially if any of them call for a variety of beans (like a 13 bean soup mix, but I don't want to use it just for soups!)

⇒ Sue: I've been buying monthly since Covid. I love it and actually save money.

⇒ Coral: Frozen veg are frequently cheaper, no waste or prep time, and highly nutritious, as they are snap frozen as they are picked! Fresh veg are usually at least a day old when you get them, more if you aren’t shopping at farmers markets.

⇒ Elaine: Sounds like a great plan. You’ll probably make changes as you go along, but having meals already planned and ingredients on hand is a great start. Be sure to include a few super simple things, like a pizza or a pot pie, for those times you really, really don’t want to cook!

⇒ Wanda: I think you may feel you have more energy (if you are used to eating a lot of meat) I took a plant-based course through the seventh day Adventist church..if you Google, Dr. Hans Diehl he is from Loma Linda University and was involved in the program…

⇒ Sandra: I have been shopping monthly for many years. I make a list of what’s in my freezer and plan my meals for the month based off of that first and then fill it in from there and I make my grocery list from my menu. I do make small store runs for milk or fresh veggies sometimes but I can look at what I have left in my grocery budget and say yea or nay to those purchases.

My favorite tip: I made a Master list of everything I know how to cook and I add to it when I try something new and it’s a success . This makes menu planning easy on those days when your brain doesn’t want to cooperate and you can’t think of enough meals or a meal to make with ingredients you already have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your favorite credit card and why?

Has anyone tried starching their jeans and does it help them to last longer or not get as dirty?

I need to repurpose taco soup? What ideas do you have?